Transcripts, one of the important document to be requested from a High School. But , why there is a need for requesting copies of high school transcripts?
The reason for it is very genuine.
- Colleges and Universities need them as an important document of the application process.
- Employers, mostly government organisations, need proof of the education and training of their prospective employees.
You may also just wish to have a copy for yourself. You will be needed to do a little research, but getting a copy of the high school transcript generally isn’t too tough.
- Requesting Transcripts from a Public School (US)
- Requesting Transcripts from a Private School (US)
- Requesting Transcripts from a School in Canada
Method 1 : Requesting Transcripts from a Public School (US)
- Contact the individual school. The best possible way to make a request for the transcripts is to request them from the school where you are currently enrolled in high school. You can generally request the transcripts from high school’s registrar, student services, or student counseling office. If you aren’t sure where to go or whom to contact, better to call your school’s main information desk.
- Contact the school district. Your records are most likely to get stored at your local school district office or county board of education in case graduated recently from a public school. You may be able to request transcripts online, over the phone, or through the mail depending on the school. for this, You can search at the National Center for Education Statistics website for school district.
- Contact the state’s Department of Education. You may require to contact state’s Department of Education to request transcripts in case it has been more than 5 years since the graduation from high school.
- Get it thru online services. Many high schools use services for this kind of request high school transcripts online. It is very easy to request transcripts to be delivered to a third party, like a university or employer. In the US for transcript requests, over 3,400 high schools use Parchment.com.
Method 2 : Requesting Transcripts from a Private School (US)
- Contact school. Private schools mostly maintain student records at the individual school. For the required search for the specific school, Yu may contact National Center for Education Statistics website.
- Contact school’s custodian of records. In case the school in question is no longer operational, you may contact the organization responsible for maintaining school accreditation in the area. This organization is usually the custodian of records for schools that close. You would contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in Texas.
- Contact your state Department of Education. If the private school you attended is no longer in operation, and you cannot contact the custodian of records for your school, contact your state’s Department of Education. Most states have a Private Schools Office that can handle your request for providing information like the school name, address, county, and years of attendance.
- Check online services. Many high schools utilize these services for you to request high school transcripts online. You may request your transcripts be delivered to a third party, like a university or employer.
Method 3 : Requesting Transcripts from a School in Canada
- Check whether province allows online requests. Some provinces, like Saskatchewan and Alberta, allow online transcript requests for secondary school (high school) transcripts. This can be checked at province’s Ministry of Education website to see whether province has the option or not. You can generally pay via credit card for online transcript requests. Currently, British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Quebec, Saskatchewan, and Yukon provinces allow online requests. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, and Prince Edward Island have a pre-requisite to contact school.
- Contact the school in case you attended a public school in past five years. The individual provinces are responsible for public education in Canada. You can contact school to request transcripts if you have attended secondary school at a public school in Canada. Generally all the provinces have a school information finder on Ministry of Education website that can help you find the contact information for public schools in the province.
- Contact the school board. Individual schools maintain records in a central office, rather than keeping them at the school. You may be referred to the school board in case of your school. The Ministry of Education websites for each province generally also have a school board finder to help you find contact information. In case you had left school more than 5 years ago, you will be required to contact the school board. You’ll also be required to contact the school board in case you attended a public secondary school that is no longer in operation.
- Contact the private school. Most private schools in Canada keep transcript records on file at the school. Contact the school to request a transcript, in case you attended a private school. If you had attended a private school that is no longer in operation, you will be required to contact province’s Ministry of Education with as much information as possible to request the transcripts.
Hope the above discussion will help you a lot.