IGNOU was established by Government of India in year 1985. It is world’s largest university with active enrolment of 40Lakh students. IGNOU offers many graduate and post-graduate programs for students who cannot get into regular programs. One of the popular programs offered by IGNOU is MBA.
Admission Process for MBA
To get into IGNOU MBA programs, students need to appear for an entrance test – OPENMAT. OPENMAT is conducted by NTA and is held twice a year in February and July. Students are selected for admission into the IGNOU-MBA program based on the OPENMAT scores achieved by them.
IGNOU MBA programs are valid for many private and government jobs and treated at par with many other part time programs and distance education programs.
Students need to do apply through the following process: –
- They must apply online for the OPENMAT test by using either of the following 2 websites – https://ntaignou.nic.in/ or http://www.ignou.ac.in/. The second link re directs the student to the NTA website.
- Hall tickets are available 10 days before the test and must be downloaded, printed out and carried to the test centre.
- The OPENMAT test carries a total of 200 marks and is of 3 hours duration. There is no negative marking.
- Questions are divided into 4 categories – Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning, General Awareness and English.
- Instructions for the test are given on the OMR response sheet and these must be meticulously followed.
- After the exam, results are published on both the IGNOU as well as the NTA websites and the results are also sent to each individual student.
- A student who qualifies OPENMAT needs to apply to the program through Form 2 attached to the program prospectus along with the required accompanying documents.
- Incomplete/late applications are immediately rejected without any intimation to the applicant.
Checklist of documents to be submitted along with Form 2 –
- Self-attested certified copies of all relevant educational qualifications.
- Original OPENMAT hall ticket and score card.
- Duly filled identity card of the student.
- Students need to send a demand draft of Rupees 1800 for each program applied to, drawn in favour of IGNOU and payable at the place of the corresponding Regional Centre. Students must not forget to mention their name, address and program code at the back of the draft.
- The form should have the applicant’s photograph pasted on it and the student needs to sign across this photograph.
- SC/ST/OBC candidates need to attach the respective category certificates.
Eligibility Criteria for MBA
For Indian students –
- Any graduate holding a 3years’ Bachelors’ degree with a minimum of 50% (General Category) or 45% marks is eligible to apply for the program.
- The applicant must qualify the IGNOU OPENMAT test conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA).
- The CGPA at the graduate degree level must match the required percentage criteria.
Foreign Students –
- Foreign applicants staying in India need to have a valid student visa for the entire program duration.
- These students need to pay the fee designated for foreign students and their applications are dealt with by the IGNOU International Division.
The course is conducted by IGNOU’s School of Management Studies (SOMS) which has been in operation since 1987.
The full program is of 2 years (4 semesters) and it is divided into 21 courses which are offered module wise.
- 1st semester – The student can choose any 5 courses from MS-1 to MS-11 except MS-10.
- 2nd semester – The student shall complete the 5 courses remaining after the 1st semester except MS-10.
- 3rd semester – MS-10, MS-95, MS-100 and 2 specializations of the student’s choice.
- 4th semester – MS-91, 3 specialisation courses from specialisation stream opted in the 3rd semester and any 1 elective course from MS-92/MS-93/MS-94/MS-96 and MS-97.
The minimum course duration is 2 years and the maximum is 5 years. A student who is unable to complete the same within 5 years must take new admission by filling up Form 3.
Apart from the general MBA course, IGNOU also offers a special Master of Business Administration in Banking and Finance (MPB).
Just like MBA program, MPB too has wide recognition in the industry. Many distance programs offered by other open schools and private universities are under UGC scanner, but IGNOU remains a popular in the industry.
Admission Process for MPB
To apply for MPB, students need to fill up the application form and send it to the Regional Director either by post or in person before the last date for the admission. Students need to attach the following documents along with the completed application form –
- Attested certificate copies of all educational qualifications.
- A completed Identity card.
- A photograph with the candidate’s signature across it must be pasted on the application form.
- Experience certificate citing proof of more than 2 years of experience in the banking & financial sector signed by a person of the rank of no lower than the Branch Manager of the bank or financial company.
- Attested copies of CAIIB certificate.
- A demand draft of INR 37,800 drawn in favour of IGNOU and payable at the city of the applicant’s regional centre.
- An additional demand draft of INR 1050 drawn in favour of IGNOU must also be enclosed.
Eligibility Criteria for MPB
- Should be a graduate from any recognized university.
- Should have successfully cleared the CAIIB examination conducted by the Indian Institute of Banking & Finance, Mumbai and must have received the relevant qualification certificate from them in this regard.
- Should have a minimum of 2 years work experience in the banking and financial sector.
- The applicant should be a member of the Indian Institute of Bankers.
Important Deadlines for MPB
|July – December 2019 session||31st July 2019|
|January- June 2020 session||30th November 2019|
|July – December 2020 session||31st May 2020|
MPB course is offered module wise and is broken up into 21 courses spread over a minimum of 2.5 years. The maximum time within which it should be completed is 8 years failing which, the applicant must take new admission by filling up Form 3. There is no age bar.