What is Benadryl Cough Syrup
Benadryl cough syrup is an antihistamine. It reduces the effect of the chemical histamine in our body. Histamine produces symptoms such as the runny nose, watery, eye itching and sneezing. Thus, Benadryl cough syrup is commonly used to relieve the symptoms of allergy, stuffy and runny nose, congestion, hives, skin rash, sneezing and cough. It thins the mucus in the lungs, nose and windpipe and makes it easy to cough out the mucus. It is also used to treat specific symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, induce sleep and treat morning sickness.
Salt Composition of Benadryl Syrup
Each 5 ml of Benadryl cough syrup contain 10 mg of dextromethorphan hydrobromide and 30 mg of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride as an active ingredient. It also contains liquid glucose and anhydrous citric acid as inactive ingredients.
Precaution Before Taking Benadryl Cough Syrup
Before you take Benadryl cough syrup make sure you are not allergic to diphenhydramine.
If you have any of the following condition discussed below, better ask the doctor if it is safe for you to take this medicine.
1. Blockage in the stomach or intestine.
2. A urinary problem, such as bladder obstruction.
3. Kidney or liver disease.
4. Ileostomy or a colostomy
5. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma or any other breathing disorder.
6. A thyroid disorder
8. Low blood pressure or heart disease
9. Cough with mucus or cough caused due to emphysema, smoking or chronic bronchitis
10. If you take potassium.
How to Take Benadryl Cough Syrup
It is advised to take Benadryl cough syrup in the given dose suggested by the doctor depending on your health condition. Better, take the medicine for the duration recommended by your doctor.
Measure the liquid medicine with dosing syringe or special dose-measuring cup or spoon.
Benadryl cough syrup should be taken 30 minutes before you will be in the situation that will cause motion sickness.
If Benadryl is to be taken to induce sleep, make sure to take it within 30 minutes before the bedtime.
A few common side effect of Benadryl cough syrup includes:
- Pain in the abdomen
- Thickened respiratory tract secretions
- Coordination impaired
- Dry mouth, throat or nose
- Drowsiness and dizziness
- Blurred Vision or dry eyes
- Hangover feeling after night-time use
- Allergic reaction.
*Most of the side effects are temporary and resolves with time.
It is better to contact your doctor if you are concerned about any of the side effects discussed below:
- Difficult or painful urination
- Little or no urination
- Fluttering in the chest or pounding heartbeat
- Tightness in jaw or neck
- Uncontrolled movement of tongue
- Feeling you may pass out
- We advise you to let your health care team know the medicines you are taking as a few medicines may be affected or affect the action of this medicine.
- Benadryl cough syrup may make you dizzy and sleepy. This is why it is suggested not to drive after taking it.
- Avoid alcohol while taking this medicine.
- While taking this, medicine have plenty of fluids.
- If you suffer from liver or kidney disease better, inform your doctor before you start with this medicine.
- Also, inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding pregnant or planning a pregnancy.
- Never give Benadryl cough syrup to infant and child to make them sleep.
- Do not give up this medicine to a child younger than two years old. Misuse of cold medications and cough syrup may be life-threatening in very young children.
- Keep the medicine out of the reach of small kids.
What Other Drugs Affect the Action of Benadryl Cough Syrup
Benadryl cough syrup if taken with some medicines causes unwanted effect that may prove dangerous.
Taking this medicines with some other drugs may make you sleepy or slow down the breathing or may worsen these effects.
Consult your doctor before taking Benadryl if you are on narcotics, pain medicine, muscle relaxer, sleeping pill or medicine for depression and anxiety and seizures.
*Benadryl cough syrup may affect the result of allergic skin test.
What to do if you miss a dose?
Benadryl Syrup is taken when needed. It is not required to be scheduled. However, if you are on a schedule and miss a dose, take medicine as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if you are almost at time to the next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
Disclaimer – We are not in support of self-medication. Information shared in this post is solely for reading and knowledge.
If your symptoms do not improve even after taking Benadryl cough syrup for seven days consult, your doctor also call your doctor if you have a headache, skin rash or fever.
*Store the bottle of Benadryl cough syrup at room temperature away from heat and moisture
*Seek emergency medical attention if you overdose.