Smart lighting is a fast-growing trend at present, and it can also be referred to as connected home technology. No doubt, it will be the norm in a few years. If take its basic meaning level, to make any gadget smart means it needs to be connected to the internet or phone directly so that an app can control it. The same thing also applies to light, when it can be controlled remotely via smartphones, it is termed smart lighting.
Every smart gadget that can be connected to the internet to make life easier. That’s where smart lighting comes in the limelight. It is the leading category in intelligent home technology. It’s affordable, easy to install and is capable of enhancing the safety and security of your home.
Pros of Smart Lighting
- Smart lights are usually controlled by smartphones or tablet via an app, be it an IOS or Android operating system.
- It can be connected directly to the WiFi connection or any phone via Bluetooth.
- The installation process is easy and not that much expensive as you think.
- The main advantage of smart lighting is that if WiFi enabled, it could be controlled from anywhere. You don’t need to walk to the switch and turn on the light.
- It is useful in terms of energy efficiency purpose.
- By going smart, you don’t have to stay in white light always. It offers you to pick any colour of light you want with lighting effect and set-timing options.
- When movement sensors are installed with smart lighting, it can enhance the security of your home to the whole new level.
Cons of Smart Lighting
- It might not show you that considerable difference in energy saving as it was in replacement of incandescent and other lightings like fluorescent and halogen lamps for LED lights. But, initially cost of installation of removal and upgradation will feel high on your budget.
Here are some of the Best Smart Lighting options available for Indian customers, online.
- Best for Home, Bedroom, Living Room, Party Decoration -CTKTC024542
- Material: Plastic, Color: White
- Bluetooth 3.0 Speaker Music Bulb
- RGB Change With 24 Key Remote Controller
- Item Size: 10 cm x 10 cm x 12 cm
- The 2 in 1 design LED colourful light bulb dance with the music, double choice as a light bulb and a speaker with universal standard e27 base
- Loud, clear and immersive sound with 360-degree coverage, wireless range up to 33 feet with Bluetooth 3.0
- This multicolour bulb base on e27 adapter, replacing 50w incandescent bulb by 6w one, save 85 per cent on electricity bill of lighting, equipped with colourful RGB colour system
- You may use it as a LED light bulb, to be a night light with music playing
- Easily gets connected to Bluetooth no password required
- widely used in aisles, channels, bathrooms
- model: BS091-led night light project type
- Night lights Detection angle: 110 degree
- size: 225 mm (D) * 55.0 mm (H)
- delay: 30 seconds Detection distance: 5-8 meters
- LED: 36 LEDs power supply: 7 watts Input, voltage: 220-240 V colour: white
- Multicoloured, Disco Music Party Light Bulb with Wireless Stereo Audio
- Dim-able Tune-able, Wake Up Light with Speaker
- Colourful changing: Small smart LED bulb, over 17 million supported colours plus warm and cool white. You can choose your unique colour which you like to brightness of rhythm of the world
- Smartphone Controlled: You may scan the product of the QR code. Even you can do some searching for a software named “Smart Bulb”. The software support every Android and iPhone. The broad compatibility allows you to combine music and control from Bluetooth device by choice.
- Music Sync Via Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth speaker, connect to Bluetooth devices easily, enjoy music everywhere; Play music from YouTube, Pandora, Spotify etc. 3W speaker delivers precise highs and crisp, clear sounds with deep bass.
- Sleep Assistant: Setting the time to turn on the Music and LED bulb automatically, just need to connect BT. Wake up to the favourite music and colour or come home with lights pre-switched on.
- Simple to install: Just plug bulb to the holder, power it on, download the free app. Connect to Bluetooth devices. Shake to control: Play/Pause, Close/Open light, Next song, Random colour
- Automate lighting experience with Philips Hue and control lights from home or away from home. Create light schedules using the Philips Hue App, and you have never to come home to a dark house.
- Connect to the Hue Bridge, and add up to 50 lights. Expand the system with up to 12 Hue accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor.
- Install the LED lights as you may install ordinary bulbs and pair them with the Hue Bridge, which allows you to control overhead lights and smart-bulb-equipped lamps and via the Philips Hue App.
- Control your lights with voice using Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant. Pair it for home automation with existing Samsung SmartThings or Nest system.
- This box includes one Philips Hue Bridge with power adapter and ethernet cable, four Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance A19 Energy Star Certified Standard light bulbs, manual, and two-year warranty.
- White & Color
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and The Google Assistant
- Style: Hue Go
- Beyond Ceiling Lamp
- This item is certified to work with Alexa
- WORKS WITH ALEXA
- Add voice control by combining with an Alexa device & hub
- Light any moment anywhere – control light your way with this portable Hue light
- Full control from your smart device for extended features and light recipes
- Natural dynamic effects – enhance your special moment with living light
- Experience millions of colours and white light with 300-lumen output
- Intelligent battery management for maximum freedom and portability – up to 3 hours of battery life
- Warranty: 2 years on product
- Operating Voltage: 240 volts, Type: LED
- All Hue products require a Hue Bridge to function. Hue bulbs, Hue Go, Hue Light strips, Hue Bloom, and all other Hue luminaires can be paired with Echo, Echo Dot, and Echo Tap only when used with Hue Gen 2 bridge (Gen 1 Bridge is not compatible)
- All Hue products can connect directly to Echo Plus no Hue Bridge required though they will still need a Hue Bridge (Gen 1 or Gen 2) to be controlled via the Philips Hue App
- RGB Smart Music Bulb
- E27 Base Color Changing with Remote Control for Party, Home, Halloween Christmas Decoration
- Smart Speaker Bulb: This bulb is a Wireless enabled, multicoloured, energy-efficient smart LED light which can be controlled through your smartphone or tablet for playing music.
- 13 Color Choices&3 Modes: Ustellar Color changing LED bulb with 12 colourful lights and 5000K daylight white light. Flash/Strobe/Fade 3 color models.
- Dancing Light: New feature to make the colourful light dance according to music rhythm. Suitable for the bar, restaurant, bedroom, closet, corridor, cabinet, workshop, basement, garage, roof, stairwell, oil depots, door and other places.
- Remote Control: Adjustable volume of music and light, One remote controller can control multi bulbs at the same time, but one Wireless device can be connected to one lamp. Remote controller included.
- Energy Saving: This multicolour bulb base on E27 adapter, replace 50W incandescent bulb by 6W LED bulb, save 80-85% on electricity bill of lighting.
- Work with Alexa, Echo, Google Home and IFTTT (No Hub Required)
- Equivalent RGB Color Changing Bulb (1Pcs, 7W)
- VOICE CONTROL – Works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa supported devices for a hands-free experience
- Smart Lighting: Turn lights on and off, dim or brighten, and set schedules using Smart Lite app (iOS and Android)
- Choose from 3 million colours and shades of white to turn ordinary everyday lighting into an extraordinary experience. Control remotely with the smartphone or tablet, create scenes and unleash your
- This bulb is compatible with 2.4 GHz modem only
- Easy to Install- There are three steps to initiate intelligent life. Scan the QR code to download the APP, install the lamp and use the APP to control the WiFi bulb
How to decide the Best Smart Lighting for home
Smart lighting is rapidly gaining praise and popularity. Smart switches, plugs, and bulbs can help you manage the light in the home through a smartphone or any other connected device.
Still, before going all-in on lighting gadgets, think about what you want smart lighting to achieve at home. If you wish to prevent lights from being left on, making your home more secure? What problems are you trying to solve? Or, You want to help combat the winter blues by mimicking outdoor light, there’s a lighting solution for you.
Types of Smart Lighting
It’s essential to do your research to see which intelligent lighting option suits your needs. Here are the key points to get you started.
Smart plugs and receptacles
- Smart plugs are an easy and inexpensive way to get into home automation. They plug into standard wall outlets and can be well-configured using an app, allowing you to control any light, device, or appliance that is connected into it like a lamp fixture, fan or microwave. Some smart plugs have special features such as monitoring energy consumption and providing reports that may help you optimize the use of technology to save money.
- If home security is essential to you, look for a smart plug that has an “away” mode that is what makes it more useful by simulating someone being at home by turning lights off and on at random during a set period. This is great if you are a regular traveller or are away from your home for most of the day. Smart plugs may be programmed to run simple tasks like shutting off a lamp at sunrise and turning it on at sundown.
- You can call an electrician to check and replace current wall outlets with smart receptacles to get that built-in look, clean. They can be controlled over a smartphone and are compatible with any smart home assistants.
- Smart switches replace existing traditional switches.
- You’ll still be able to turn lights on and off from a wall switch, but with added benefits like dimming and remote control through a dedicated app connected to WiFi or data if you’re away from your home.
- If you have LED light bulbs installed, dimmers reduce energy consumption approximately equal to the amount it reduces light output. For example, lights at 50 per cent brightness would use around 50 per cent of the power.
- Smart switches are worth considering if you have switches that control many lights. Some have built-in vacancy and occupancy sensors, which will help you save more energy since they’re only triggered by motion. For example, if you have several lamps connected to one switch, it may make more sense to change out the switch instead of changing out multiple lightbulbs.
- Don’t forget; switches can be tricky to change out. To make sure everything is installed correctly, you may consider an electrician who can help.
- Smart bulbs have an extensive range of benefits, including dimming and helping you sleep better. Like smart plugs and switches, intelligent bulbs let you adjust the lighting in your home remotely, as well as set schedules and timers for lights.
- Smart bulbs use LEDs, which last at least 15 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs and use about 70 – 90 per cent less energy. Additionally, a vital feature of some brands’ smart bulbs is the LED colour types they employ, which can be used to set the mood for any occasion, including parties and holiday gatherings.
- If you’re looking to automate lighting to fit your lifestyle, you can also program the colour of lights beside your bed to put you to sleep and wake you up. To get in the game, simply replace traditional light bulbs with smart bulbs, which screw into existing sockets in your home.
- If you only want a handful of smart bulbs in your home, consider getting ones that connect directly to your WiFi network. If you’re managing more lights, a hub-based smart light system may be better.
Don’t forget to think about the technology that is already part of your daily routine. Ensure that tablets, phones and smart thermostats you use are compatible. Smart lighting is a great place to start creating a smart home. It can help you save energy, increase your comfort, feel more secure and give you peace of mind when you’re away.