Printer Buying Guide : Choose Inkjet or Laser
Printer buying can be a tough task; there’s so much of choice. So it becomes hard to find the right model. Take your time to make a decision and should be clear about what exactly you need to use the printer. This will help narrow down options.
There are two types of printer technologies mainly to choose from – inkjet and laser. Both has its pros and cons. Our buying guides will help you make your choice and you can check online at Amazon.in.
- Print, copy, scan, wireless and adf
- Black (draft, a4): up to 22 ppm; colour (draft, a4): up to 16 ppm; black (iso): up to 11 ppm; colour (iso): up to 5 ppm; colour photo (normal, photo paper, 10×15 cm): as fast as 76 seconds
- Nail sticker printing, pattern printing, card-stock paper printing, sticker printing
- Duplex and Wi-Fi ensures business usage
- A3 print with A4 scan
- Document removal reminder
- 4.3-inch touch
- Functions: Scan, copy and printing
- Interface: USB
- Input Tray Capacity: Plain paper – 64-105 g/m2 ,
- Other System Requirements: Mac OS X v10.8.5 and Later
- Printing Speed: 4.0ipm (Black)
- Optical Sensor Resolution: 600 x 1200 DPI
- Scan Type: Flatbed
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi, USB, Canon Selphy App
- Power requirements: 200 to 240 V, 50/60 Hz
- No LCD diplay on printer
- Pages per minute – 8.8 ipm (Black), 5 ipm (Colour), Cost per page – 9 paise (Black & White), 32 paise (Colour) – As per ISO standards
- Ideal usage – Home and Small office
- Page size supported – 4.0″x6.0″ till A4 / Letter / Legal / A5 / B5 ; Duplex Print – No ; Print resolution – 4800 x 1200 dpi
- Direct print from USB & Mobile
- Wireless and WiFi direct
- High page yield in class
- Charging option from AC socket or USB/car adaptor
- Only mobile printer in class with internal battery and no adapter
- Apple AirPrint and Google Cloud Print
- Direct print from USB & Mobile
- Wireless and WiFi direct
- Charging Option from AC socket or USB/car adaptor
- Apple AirPrint and Google Cloud print
- Connect to your laptop, smartphone, or tablet without connecting to a network/router
Inkjets print by squirting tiny dots of ink onto the page, and are usually cheaper than lasers. The fact that it uses liquid ink means the results can by smudged, which is not the case with lasers.
Most inkjets are all-in-one printers which come with a copier and scanner built-in. This makes them very handy. If you need a printer for general home use, the HP and Canon have value for money options.
If you need to print photos as well as documents, it is worth spending a little more on printers designed by keeping in mind, some of them can produce lab-quality results. Pricier inkjets tend to take a separate ink cartridge for each colour.
It is good to spend a little more on inkjet designed for home office use.
- Faxing as well as copying and scanning
- Automatic document feeder which
- Allows to copy, fax and scan multiple pages
- Without to feed in each page by hand
- Even handle two-sided documents
- Have an Ethernet port
- Faster, more reliable networking
It would be best if you considered a laser printer.
- Produce professional-quality printing
- Use static electricity
- Transfer powdered ink is known as toner from a cartridge
- Heated to infuse it to the page.
- Lasers cartridges are more expensive than inkjets, you get a higher page Yield – the number of pages you can print per cartridge.
- Faster than inkjets at printing out longer documents too.
Functionality of the Printers
|Inkjet Printers||Laser Printers|
|Uses ink cartridges||Uses toner cartridges|
|Ink cartridges are usually less expensive||Toner replacements are more expensive.|
|Need to replace them more frequently||Replacing cartridges is less frequent|
|Easily stored on a desk or shelving unit||Larger and may require a designated area for placing it.|
|Slower in printing||Faster in printing|
|Smudged or ruined printing due to moisture||Higher-quality printing|
Factors to Consider on the basis of Connectivity
If you are want to print something directly from laptop, smartphone or tablet as you are from desktop computer, a Wi-Fi enabled printer will allow without fuss transferring of files, removing memory cards or connecting said devices with cables.
Some printers are designed for printing photos with a front-facing USB port. These enable printing directly from a camera or flash drive. It saves you having to transfer your files to a computer first.
Bluetooth as technology standard for transferring data wirelessly over short distances, is less standard in printers these days as Wi-Fi has superseded it. Bluetooth is useful if you want to be able to use your printer wirelessly without Wi-Fi.
There is not too much difference between a web-enabled printer and a Wi-Fi enabled printer, with both allowing you to print wirelessly from the likes of tablets and smartphones. Web connectivity options mean even the most affordable models options cost a little more.
Print quality is measured by DPI (dots per inch) – the number of dots in a one-inch square. The higher the DPI, the more detailed the output. The DPI varies by model as well as by what print mode is used.
Memory Card Printing
These allow to plug the memory card from digital camera, tablet or smartphone into the printer and print directly from them using a photo index sheet that prints out first, or a built-in LCD (liquid-crystal display) to select to print. Printers with memory card slots are useful.
What size paper you need for printer to be able to take will depend on what you want to use your printer for. Photo printers are optimised for standard photographic print sizes, but if you’re going to print documents and photos you will need an A4-sized printer. If you want to print posters or large images, you will need an A3-sized printer, which is aimed at graphic designers and photographers. It tends to cost more than A4 counterparts and take up more desk space.
The type of ink a printer consumes is the most important things to consider while buying one as in the long run, the ink will cost more than the printer.
The above buying guide will definitely will help you choose the best printer according to your interest.