Portable Generators : Best Buying Guide 2020
Portable Generators are the must have during summers and even can be used while in outdoors for picnics or get together near a river or camping in a jungle.
There is a most probable breakdown of the grid supply of power during disasters. These situations require power to undertake safety and rescue operations. At that moment, portable generators serve the purpose and come handy. These generators are beneficial power solutions in applications such as outdoor functions or camping.
They assist at the accident site at the earliest. They are also instrumental in construction activities to give power to small tools. Similarly, portable generators serve useful in construction activities to provide power to small appliances. Likewise, portable generators serve an essential purpose in agriculture as well. Because they are compact, generators have low power outputs.
Generator industry comprises many types of generators based on several classifications. One classification is based on fuels used. Various fuels used in generators include petrol, diesel, gas, solar energy or a combination of fuels. The most common fuels used are diesel, petrol, gas and solar power. Solar energy and its combination with hybrid fuels are gaining grounds.
There are many online options available at Amazon.in. Let’s check them before understanding various types and knowing more buying tips.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL OUTPUTS: portable power station features in variety of outputs
- 1 x AC modified sinewave output, charges or powers products
- 3 x DC output 9~12V/15A max perfect for holiday lights, robot vacuum
- 3 x USB port for MP3 player, e-reader, tablet, camera and more.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL PORTABLE SOLAR GENERATOR
- Material:Metal, Color:Multicolour
- Petrol Genset 4 stroke single cylinder generator with maximum output of 850 VA.
- This generator has a compact design and delivers the best in class performance
- Energy capacity 444 watt-hours
- Portable Solar Generator Model S650
- A comprehensive power back up system.
- You can easily power up drill machine, phones, tablets, laptops, or any other small devices
- 3 USB output while enjoying your outdoor trip
- 100% copper insulation H class
- No voltage dropping
- AC Output
- 100% reliable product
- 2.5 kVA Portable Diesel Generator , 2.5 kVA , 2.2 KW
- Suitable for Home load Shop Agriculture Construction Power Load
- It is a 2.5 kVA generator. Portable mini Generator. air cooled.
- Long life. Single phase 230 V, 1.0 Pf, 1500 RPM Made with ms body
Let’s have a look at the features of types of generators that run on different fuels.
|Diesel is the most popular and commonly fuel used by power generators because of many advantages, including its easy availability all over India. The main benefits of diesel generators are low flammability of fuel, consistent performance for long periods without malfunction, lower prices, can operate under adverse conditions, longer life and best fuel efficiency.|
|Petrol Generators||Petrol is almost as good a fuel like diesel, but its operating cost is higher because of the higher price of gasoline.|
|Gas Generators||Gas generators mainly use natural gas or propane as fuel. These fuels are cleaner than diesel as well as petrol and therefore, considered more environment-friendly. They create lesser noise than petrol and diesel generators.|
|Solar Generators||Solar generators convert energy from the sun to produce electricity which can be applied directly to power appliances that run on DC power, or they use solar power after its conversion into AC through inverters. The most significant advantages of solar generators are noiseless operation, almost no running cost, absence of pollution and abundant supply on sunny days. The acquisition and installation cost is higher than other generators.|
|Hybrid Generators||Hybrid generators utilize a combination of solar energy and fuels like diesel, petrol, CNG, etc. to get benefitted from all the options available. These generators run on solar energy during the day time and on other fuels during the night when ample sunlight is not available.|
|Inverter Generators||Many applications such as recreational vehicles, automobiles and air conditioners require power as per the need of the time that may vary. Inverter generators facilitate requirements by converting the AC of the generator to DC and then inverting it to AC to steadfastly ensure that steady current is supplied to the gadget, device or appliance. These can produce 2000 to 5000 watts of power at 220 volts and come in various sizes.|
|Industrial Generators||Applications in industrial settings need the power that can vary in a wide range. Industrial generators serve the power needs of industrial applications with unique features. Industrial generators have characteristics that include ruggedness, ability to perform under adverse conditions, robustness, amenability to customization, ability to generate single or three-phase power and ability to operate for long hours. Industrial generators are available in the broadest range of power output from as low as 20 kilowatts to as high as 2500 kilowatts.|
|Induction Generators||Induction generators are induction motors which turn into induction generators when a prime mover drives the motor at speeds higher than its synchronous rate. The prime mover could be a windmill, a turbine or engine. Induction generators are basically of two types known as self-excited generators and externally excited generators. A windmill-driven generator represents the self-excited type induction generators. Electric locomotives, cranes, elevators, and hoists use the externally passionate variety of induction generators.|
|Standby Generators||Standby generators are standby sources of power meant to be used when grid power fails, as the name suggests. When electricity grid supply fails in commercial establishments, they cannot afford to stop their operations. In the eventuality of this kind, they use standby generators to ensure continuity of power and services. Standby generators are available with a variety of power outputs. It makes work more accessible in hospitals, hotels, restaurants, and residential homes. Standby generators can run on various types of fuels.|
Generators serve to a host of applications that include prime supply and backup supply for many kinds of devices, small and big. Types of generators based on power output. Another classification of generators is based on power output, which is as per the requirement of different kinds of applications. Based on the rating, various types of generators like inverter generators, induction generators, industrial generators, portable generators and standby generators.
Applications of Generators
- Generators can be used in remote areas, bore well, mines, disaster-affected domains, construction sites and agricultural settings as the prime power source where grid power supply is unavailable.
- Generators can be used while setting up a new industrial plant before the plant secures grid supply.
- Generators find uses in event management activities. For instance, the outdoor shooting of films, wedding processions and cultural and community-based events need power for short durations.
- Generators fill the role of prime power supply adequately.
- As sources of standby power, generators help residential settings, commercial establishments and industrial undertakings ensure continuity of operations if there is a disruption in grid supply.
Generator Maintenance and Servicing
Proper maintenance and servicing of the generator are essential to ensure that you get the best performance for your investment. While you may have taken an AMC and your purchase could have a warranty, it is always good to maintain the generator in tip-top condition by following the tips given below.
- Follow the guidelines given in the instruction manual and warranty conditions.
- Use the recommended fuel only.
- Keep the area well ventilated where the generator is placed.
- Ensure the adequate cover is provided for the generator to avoid direct contact from sunlight and rain
- Perform a periodic check on oil and ensure oil level always.
- The fuel tank must be ensured that it must not be empty before switching on the generator
- Check cables and wiring periodically and change if found damaged.
- Clean filters periodically and change as recommended.
- If the generator malfunctions even though maintenance is excellent, there could be some significant fault and the services of a company technician should be requisitioned.