Ceiling fans are a part and parcel of our life these days But do you know, The Egyptians first used the fan. Egyptian reliefs and tombs depict Pharaohs flanked by slaves holding fans shaped like discs with long handles. The initial inspiration for the fans came from bird feathers or leaves. Fans quickly became a part of royal and religious ceremonies of not just the Egyptian but other early civilisations as well, associated with kings.
But nowhere did the fan gain as much importance as it did in Japan and China. Both countries had different types of fans for the various classes in society. In Japan, fans were designed to be used in different places. The fans of courtiers looked different from the fans carried by the warrior caste, and the fans brought to a tea ceremony were not those taken to a theatre.
As hand fans were fashionable fashion accessories during this period, they became the best means for women to communicate messages to their lovers secretly. Here is a sample of how the hand fan was used to convey secret messages:
- I love you: If a woman hid her eyes behind an open fan, she meant.
- I promise to marry you: If she shut a fully open fan slowly, she meant.
- Do not forget me: If she placed her fan behind her head, she meant.
- We will be friends: If she dropped her fan, she meant.
- We are being watched: If she twirled her fan in her left hand, she meant.
An entire sign language was built around the fan. Many gestures were designed to mean other things like I hate you. I can’t marry you. See you soon, etc.
History Of the Fan
The folding fans reached Europe in the Middle Ages during the 15th century when the Portuguese discovered the sea route to China. The fans became a rage in the West, and many new designs began to originate from here by 17th century. In the Industrial Revolution era, the first mechanical fan was invented. This fan got its power from a factory waterwheel. Many similar fans were designed for industrial purposes. In the late 1800s, fans for personal use began to be made. The first of such fans were introduced by Schuyler Skaats Wheeler, an American engineer. The fans are now can be seen, both in offices and homes, with the temperature continually on the rise in the 21st century.
Despite a bleak situation for the fan due to ACs around, the ceiling fan is getting a makeover. Ceiling fans are available in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colours today. The designs, as well as new functions, are being found for the ceiling fan.
Types of Fans : Ceiling fans, Table fans and Hand fans
- Whole house fan: A whole house fan is a perfect ventilating device. It draws into the fresh home air from outside and exhausts the hot air inside through the attic.
- Exhaust fan: This fan draws in the air from one side and expels it out the other. An exhaust fan is used to eliminate odours. It is used in kitchens and bathrooms, and the exhaust fan has rotating blades encased in a square covering.
- Pedestal fan: A pedestal fan rests on an extendable pole that can be moved up or down for maximum comfort.
- Misting fan: Misting fans work on the principle of evaporative cooling. Using built-in water pumps and nozzles, it creates mist to cool its surroundings. These are typically used to cool large groups of people in stadiums or any other outdoor arena.
In India, the following companies are manufacturing ceiling fans for a long time and have excelled their sphere of business:-
Things to know before you purchase a Ceiling Fan
- Energy Savings : These are great for improving room comfort while at the same time producing energy and cost savings. In summer, fans give you to feel cool without having to turn the air conditioning full-on, thereby saving energy and money. Setting thermostat higher with a ceiling fan running can save up to 40% on AC bills. In winters, ceiling fans should be reversed, and they will push the warm air down from the ceiling to keep the heat in the lower part of the room.
- Bigger Fans for Larger Rooms : Choose the right fan to fit room size for maximum performance. In a room
|Size||Type of Room||Blade Span Size|
|Up to 50 Sq. Ft.||Bathroom||29″|
|Up to 75 Sq. Ft.||Breakfast nooks and laundry rooms||36″|
|Up to 100 Sq. Ft.||Medium size rooms||36″ to 42″.|
|over 400 Sq. Ft.||Standard bedrooms & family rooms||50″ or 52″|
|over 650 Sq. Ft.||Great rooms or large areas||54″ or larger|
Fan Blade Pitch and Size : Fan blades determine the gust of air being circulated throughout the room. Fan blade pitch is generally between a 12-15 degree angle for optimal circulation.
The Motor : You must look for high-quality motors with sealed bearings and heavy-duty windings which are permanently lubricated. Less powerful and smaller motors, found on lower quality fans may produce higher operating temperatures, lower air circulation and noisier operation.
Lighting Style and Kit to Match Room Decor : There are many light options like spotlights, single bright bowls, or multiple glass shades that may be fitted to enhance the design. Choose from classic or contemporary lights that may compliment the look of fan and room.
Consider the Warranty : Manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty. A good tip is that the larger powerful the motor and the more spend money generally correlates to the better and longer warranted fan.
Installation : Installation is natural that with necessary skills, anyone can install the product themselves in an hour or so. All ceiling fans have step by step instructions booklet, provided within the box.
Know Where to Buy : You must entrust your purchase to a reputable reseller in the event of any warranty or damage claim. You must have knowledgeable customer service associates who can provide invaluable guidance.
Let’s check some of the famous ceiling fans available online.
- Colour : IVORY, Brown
- Size: 48 INCH, 900 MM, 1200 MM, 1400 MM
- Pattern: Ceiling
- Enhance the look of living space with Aura’s attractive design
- Get assured long life and high speed with Crompton’s powerful Aura ceiling fans.
- Crompton’s unique high-speed motor ensures a best in class air delivery of 230 CMM guarantees comfort
- 100% copper motor, dynamically balanced blades, double ball bearings.
- Principal components for a longer life!
- Warranty: 2 years warranty offered by Crompton from date of purchase
- Sweep Size = 1200 mm; Speed = 380 RPM; Air Delivery = 230CMM; Input Power = 74W
- Includes: 1 Ceiling Fan, 1 Motor, Set of 3 Blades, Set of 2 Canopy, 1 Down Rod, 1 Shackle Assembly, Product Manual along with Warranty Card
- The brand does not provide installation.
- Colour Name: Brown, Off-White, Ivory
- Blade size- 1200 mm (48 Inches)
- High-speed fan
- Double ball bearings
- Excellent performance even at low voltage
- Speed: 400 RPM
- Air Delivery: 235 CMM
- Power Consumption -75 W
- Colour: Brown
- Warranty: 2 years on product
- Sweep : 1200mm, Power : 73W, Air Delivery : 210CMM, RPM: 380
- Double Ball Bearing: Increases load-bearing capacity and durability
- Quick-start High Torque Motor: Provides instant comfort by achieving high performance quickly
- Ribbed Blades: Improves Blades Stability
- Warranty: 2 years on product
- Metalized décor ornament
- Rust-free powder coated finish
- Includes: 1 Motor Unit, 3 Blades, Down rod, Warranty Card
- Colour Name: Brown & Beige, Off-White, Brown & Beige, Pearl Ivory, Pearl White and Silver
- Metallic paint finish
- Decorative trims on motor cover, canopy and blades
- Optimum performance even at low voltage
- Double ball bearings
- Speed: 350 RPM
- Air Delivery: 215 CMM
- Power: 52 watts
- Warranty: 2 years on product
- Colour : Golden, Chocolate
- Attractive blade trims and ring on the motor
- Available in dual colour combinations
- Quadro ornamental is an extension of Quadro
- Sweep: 1200, Rpm: 300
- Number of blades: 4
- Warranty: 2 years on the product
- Power: 70 Watts
- Colour : Pearl Ivory Matt, Matt Brown
- High air delivery ceiling fan with superior high permeability grade electric steel lamination for improved life
- High gloss powder-coated paint for a superior finish
- High lift angle of blades for wider air spread
- Performs well even at low voltage
- High RPM and unique blade angle provides high air delivery & spread
- Air sweep: 1200mm; Air delivery: 230 CMM; Speed: 380 rotations per minute (RPM); Power: 75 Watts; Operating Voltage: 230 Volts
- Warranty: 2 years warranty on the product
- Package includes: Ceiling fan motor, Top canopy, Bottom canopy, Shackle Assembly, Down rod unassembled, Blade set packed separately; Ceiling fan motor to be sold with ceiling fan blades
- Two years warranty provided by the manufacturer from date of purchase
So, check these out and get the best ceiling fan for your house and don’t forget to use to buying tips while you purchase.