A Study table lamp is an essential study accessory that comes extremely handy when you are studying or use your laptop or a personal computer at night when everybody at home is generally sleeping.
There are varied types of designs available in the market, such as a USB powered Study table lamp, clamp stands study table lamp, dimming study table lamp, etc. This variety in study table lamps makes the selection a bit cumbersome, and the buyer gets confused about the perfect model to buy for himself.
Nowadays, LED study table lamps are becoming popular. They are cheap. They reduce electricity consumption. A bright study table lamp increases work efficiency and will make it easier to focus on the task.
Best Study Table Lamps to Buy
Let’s now check out the best table lamp that will provide adequate brightness and other characteristics to get the best out of it.
The Dyson Lightcycle Morph automatically alters its brightness and light temperature throughout the day established on your precise location, reducing eye strain. In addition, the Dyson Link app allows you to save custom brightness and warmth settings for specific situations and even your age. The Lightcycle Morph also automatically switches itself off and on when you leave and enter the room.
- Dimensions: 20.6 x 16.3 x 7.8 inches, 7.7 pounds
- LED lifetime: 181,000 hours
- Brightness: Adjustable (850 lumens, 1,546 lux)
- Color temperature: 2,700 K to 6,500 K
- Wattage: 11.2 watts
- Warranty: Five years
|The wide range of movement automatically adjusts warmth and brightness based on your location, automatically turns on/off, when you leave or enter the room, it can be controlled via the Dyson Link app||Costly; physical controls are tricky to use, the app needs your location for full functionality|
The Lumicharge II boasts a universal phone dock and a wireless charging pad. The lamp also has a motion-activated night light, but it was far too bright and would dazzle my eyes when it turned on in the dark.
- Dimensions: 7 x 7 x 15.8 inches, 3 pounds
- LED lifetime: 60,000 hours
- Brightness: 10 levels (700 lumens)
- Color temperature: Three modes (3,000 K to 8,000 K)
- Wattage: 7 watts
- Warranty: 6 months
|Wireless charging, three physical chargers, built-in digital display, easy-to-use controls, a wide range of motion||Somewhat cheap-looking appearance, the night light is too bright; the clock is confusing to program|
TaoTronics Desk Lamp
The TaoTronics LED Desk Lamp contains wireless phone charging and a night-light feature, driving it suited to dorm rooms or other small spaces. In addition, the TaoTronics Desk Lamp includes a USB port for charging electronics. It also has a 60-minute automatic shut-off timer, and the lamp remembers your settings, defaulting to them the next time you turn it on.
- Dimensions: 16.93 x 7.09 x 7.09 inches, 4.85 pounds
- Brightness: 7 levels (400 lumens)
- Color temperature: 5 modes (2,700 K to 6,500 K)
- Wattage: 12 watts
- Warranty: One year
|Easy-to-use controls, lightweight, wireless charging, night-light feature||Short, limited range of motion, stiff hinges|
Modeling a modern design, the BenQ e-Reading LED Swing-Arm Desk Lamp delivers comprehensive light coverage, an extensive range of motion, and adjustable brightness and temperature settings. It’s quick and easy to adjust both the brightness and color temperature of the BenQ Desk Lamp. When you press the dial on the light’s head and then turn it, you can adjust the color temperature of the light to 12 different settings.
- Dimensions: 23.22 x 8.66 x 24.61 inches, 10 pounds
- LED lifetime: 50,000 hours
- Brightness: Adjustable (900 lumens, 1,800 lux)
- Color temperature: 12 settings (2,700 K to 5,700 K)
- Wattage: 18 watts
- Warranty: One year
|Modern design, numerous warmth settings, tall enough to illuminate desktop computers, a wide range of motion, simple controls||Large frame might not suit small spaces|
While its elements are limited to other desk lamps, the AmazonBasics Dual Head LED Desk Lamp bears a solid performance at a reasonable price. The AmazonBasics Lamp has 48 energy-efficient LED bulbs. In addition, there’s a button on the base that lets you toggle between three color modes: natural, white, and yellow light. You can also modify the brightness level by leaving your finger on the power button.
- Dimensions: 6.7 x 6.7 x 14.57 inches, 1.03 pounds
- Brightness: Dimmable (>180 lumens)
- Color temperature: Three settings (2,700 K to 4,500 K)
- LED lifetime: 50,000 hours
- Wattage: 5.5 watts
|Inexpensive, flexible gooseneck furnishes a range of motion, split-head design for versatility, three light modes||Challenging to adjust the brightness level|
What to look for in a Study Table Lamp
- Range of Motion: Lamps need to be adjustable, and the more extensive the range of movement, the better. Lamps should have the ability to be positioned to exclude glare on the work surface, keyboard, input display, computer display, or other equipment. A wide range of motion also allows you to move a lamp’s light source closer to paper or other objects when needed.
- Brightness and Color temperature: Extended computer use can cause eye strain, but proper lighting can help to minimize the effects. A lot of eyestrain is created by our habits. It’s beneficial to look for a light with adjustable brightness and offers different light temperatures, allowing you to adjust the color spectrum throughout the day.
- Energy efficiency: If you’re going to be using a lamp all day, an energy-efficient model can help save you money. Luckily, most of today’s desk lamps use LED bulbs, consuming less energy and lasting significantly longer than incandescent bulbs. You may also enjoy looking for a light that is Energy Star-certified, which must utilize 90% less energy than traditional models employing incandescent light bulbs. LEDs can be harsh on your eyes when not diffused. Suitable quality LEDs are great for energy efficiency and longevity compared to traditional bulbs or fluorescents but consider visual comfort. Bare LEDs are an incredibly bright point source — lots of light from a minimal space — so look for a well-made fitting that will control the light with a diffuser.
- Additional features: Many desk lamps offer other features, including phone charging capabilities. If you’re skimming for a model that can charge your phone, be sure it’s compatible with your particular phone model, as some only work with the latest iPhones and Androids.
Buying Guide for Study Table Lamp
A study table lamp specification includes different technical terms and electrical values, which are tough to understand without knowing about them in detail. Many buyers ignore it and just buy the product by focusing on the design or the operation of the product.
Let’s start our hunt for a perfect study table lamp by understanding the essential features to consider while choosing a study table lamp.
Reading the Specifications of Fluorescent and LEDs
LED study table lamps are getting increasingly popular. They produce less heat. They help in the conservation of energy and last for a more extended period. The price of study table lamps has declined recently. Fluorescent study table lamps are the cheapest on the list. These are still the popular choice of buyers. While buying a study table lamp, we come across a lot of technical terms in the product specification. Four of those terms have primary importance: lm, lx, Ra, and K.
- Lumen: lm
The power consumption of LED table lamp is meager as compared to the fluorescent table lamp. So it is impossible to compare the brightness of the two different light sources. Therefore, a lumen (lm) is used to represent the amount of light which is total luminous flux radiated from the light source in all the directions. The value of lm increases with the increase in the brightness of the light source.
- Illuminance: lx
The brightness of the area when a lamp is used is known as illuminance. Illuminance is denoted by lux (lx). With the amount of illuminance, the brightness of the space decreases with the increase in the distance between the light source and the brightened area.
- The temperature of the color: K
The color temperature changes with the change in the color of the light. It transforms from incandescent to white and daylight white to daylight color. The color temperature is expressed in Kelvin (K). Lower the value of K gives warmer tone of light intensity. On the other hand, a higher K value gives in the white and bright light.
- Color Rendition: Ra
The color rendition of light is dependent on the light source. The nature of the light source is called color rendering. If the light source of a lamp is closer to the natural light, then more color rendering will be considered. The color rendering value is also termed as the average color rendering index (Ra). The maximum amount of Ra tends to be 100. If Ra is 80 or more, it will be taken to be the highest natural light source with high color rendering properties. It causes less fatigue in the eyes.
Choosing a Convenient Dimming and Angle Adjustment Feature
The angle adjustment and dimming feature are some of the most popular features of a table lamp. It helps the buyer to adjust light comfortably and conveniently. The dimming feature adjusts the brightness of the torch for reading, working with a laptop, etc. The angle adjustment makes it easier to brighten the area that requires more light
Checking for Installation and Power Supply
The feature to choose the installation method and power supply type of table lamp depends on the environment. The buyer must check the space and usage purpose before the selection of the study table lamp.
Limited Spaces: Clamp Type Study table lamp
If you do not want to occupy a lot of desk space with a study table lamp, go for clamp type. It will be the best choice if we do not have enough space.
Portable Use: USB Power Supply Study table lamp
USB powered table lamp can be attached to a laptop or an electrical outlet with the help of an adapter. The brightness and illuminance of the study table lamp depend on the source of the power output. When a laptop powers the study table, it produces less light, and with an AC adaptor and electrical power, it provides a more robust view. It is easily transported to be used anywhere. This makes it highly portable and useful.
The Final Word
Our recommended study table lamp list will make it easy for you to make a choice for the best study table lamp for reading and to work. The recommended products will reduce eye strain and have a longer life. Considering brightness, illuminance, and other essential features will help you choose the perfect study table lamp.