Purchasing an electric skateboard isn’t something that can’t be messed with. Not only because of the price it has, but because in most cases it will serve as a means of daily transport, which means that you need a reliable and safe product.In this article we give a series of recommendations to be able to buy the best affordable electric skateboard that suits your needs.
5 Tips for Finding the Best Electric Skateboard
There are countless electric skateboard designs, from light and minimalist to some that look like high-displacement motorcycles. But here, you have to think very well about the use that you are going to give your electric skateboard. If it is for urban use without big slopes, a 350 W electric skateboard is more than enough.
There is also the fact of whether you are going to have to carry it. For example, more and more users make a combined use of their electric skateboard with public transport. In these cases, that the skateboard is light and foldable, it is very important. If, on the other hand, you will never have to carry it and what interests you is to go from A to B with ease, the weight will no longer be such a determining factor.
1. Battery: It must be lithium. Consumption increases with speed. Autonomy: for a round trip of 20 km, use a 6.6 Ah; for 40 km, 8 Ah.
Lithium batteries are the most efficient batteries and that equip the highest quality electric scooters, although they are also the most expensive. They endure more charge cycles (between 2500 and 3000 charges) and have no memory effect, so they can be charged regardless of their charge level. As a final point, if the battery is from a well-known brand like Samsung, we can be quite confident about its quality.
2. Safety: Disc brakes are the best, drum brakes follow; standing is the least effective. There are models with an additional dynamic brake, which operates on the motor and generates additional energy. They must have position, brake and headlights.
Electric skateboards go quick and quick sometimes. And since it is an urban vehicle, you have to take extreme security measures. Brakes are obviously a crucial part of that safety. Depending on the electric skateboard model, we can find disc, shoe, motor or lever brakes applied directly to the rear wheel. Many times, the engine brake is more than enough, but having more braking elements is always welcome.
3. Rolling: The speed reached (in part) and the possibility of traveling in a more pleasant way through the potholes of the public road depends on these. In addition, there are inflatable and solid wheels. The former cushion the blows of the ground when walking but run the risk of getting punctured. In the case of the latter, they are not pricked but they do transmit the sensations of walking to the body.
4. Size and Weight: A 25 cm wide board gives stability, comfort and convenience. There are skateboards with a minimum of 7 kg and others that reach 22 kg. The higher the weight, the more effort it will require driving, and for this reason, they are usually cheaper. This information must be taken into account when crossing it with the terrain on which the skateboard will be operated. On rocky, unpaved and steep terrain, a heavy apparatus is not recommended.
Each electric skateboard is designed for a specific use and user. Therefore, take a good look at the maximum weight that the skateboard supports. Even if you are a 70 kg adult, always pull it up as you will end up using it as a vehicle for everything: carrying your groceries, going to the gym with your backpack full, taking your child, etc. So looking for one that supports about 100kg should be enough.
5. After-Sales: It is vital that the skateboard has a warranty certificate and a technical service available and close to the area where one is.
Other Information and Tips
Some rules: the maximum speed allowed is 20 km / h. The use of a helmet is mandatory (in addition, knee and elbow protectors are suggested). They are for one-person use (no more than one person can go) and the driver must be 16 years old or over. You must circulate on bike paths and cycle paths or on the right side of the roads (it is forbidden to do so on sidewalks and avenues).