OCR is known as Optical Character recognition which is a way to convert scanned image files into its machine readable text format.. If you come across this term, you might know that there are many OCR software comes that helps you to easily convert images into editable texts. OCR software comes handy when you want to use some text from the image and don’t have time to write it down.
Just perform OCR on an image and it will convert images in to texts that you can copy-paste in any program without need of retyping it again. You can use OCR software for digital photographs, printed books, documents, visting cards etc.
OCR software technology works around analyzing and comparing the document with the fonts stored in its database. Though, achieving 100% accuracy is not possible but it’s alway better to have something rather than nothing. Some of the OCR software includes spell checker to find out unrecognizable word and comes near to accuracy. Even, there are many online OCR tools available to do the same task.
Most of the OCR software and online tools supports image formates like JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIP formates and converts it into HTML, TEXT, PDF versions. There are many tools OCR software and tools available in the market, but we are here focusing on best free OCR software and tools in this article.
If you are finding best suited OCR software and tools for you, look at our compilation of 9 free OCR Softwares and online tools to convert your images into text. Don’t forget to tell your favorite one in the comments section below.
Best Free OCR Software
1) FreeOCR.net 3.0 : FreeOCR is a complete scan and OCR program including the Windows compiled Tesseract free OCR engine. FreeOCR is small, simple and easy-to-use, and it includes a Windows installer and supports multi-page tiff’s, fax documents as well as most image types including compressed Tiff’s which the Tesseract engine on its own cannot read.
2) SimpleOCR : Do you dread having to retype that document you are holding in your hand? If only you had the electronic file, your life would be so much easier. With SimpleOCR, you could easily and accurately convert that paper document into editable electronic text for use in any application including Word and WordPerfect. Not only is SimpleOCR up to 99% accurate, it is 100% free.
3) JOCR : JOCR is a freeware. JOCR enables you to capture the image on the screen and convert the captured image to text. It is useful to revive the protected files whose text can not be copied. JOCR enables you to copy text from any files and images on the screen such as protected Web pages, PDF files, error messages. The program offers several capture modes.
4) Image to OCR Converter : Image to OCR Converter is a text recognition software that can read text from bmp, pdf, tif, jpg, gif, png and all major image formats. Image to OCR Converter saves the extracted text in word, doc, pdf, html and text formats with accurate text formatting and spacing. Image to OCR Converter is an OCR tool that can convert any image or scanned document to all major text based formats in just one click. It avoids retyping of scanned documents by converting the scanned image and pdf files back to text based formats.
5) Abbyy FineReader Online : ABBYY FineReader Online – an online OCR service to provide accurate and swift conversion of scanned and photographed images and PDFs into editable Word, Excel, RTF, TXT and searchable PDF documents. A free account at FineReader Online will only let you convert a few pages and after that you will charged around $3 per 10 pages for additional conversions.
7) OCR Terminal : OCR Terminal is an online OCR service that allows you to convert PDF to Word, JPEG to Word and scanned images into editable documents. Just sign up in seconds and get 20 free pages every month.
9) Free OCR : Free-OCR.com is a free online OCR (Optical Character Recognition) tool. You can use this service to extract text from any image you supply. This service is free, no registration necessary. Just upload your image files. Free-OCR takes either a JPG, GIF, TIFF BMP or PDF (only first page). The only restriction is that the images must not be larger than 2MB, no wider or higher than 5000 pixels and there is a limit of 10 image uploads per hour.