Blogging is growing day by day, and there are many platforms that allow people to start a blog without spending a penny. If you are passionate about blogging and want to start blogging for no charges, then this post will help you choose from the top free blogging service providers.
I started on Blogspot (now called blogger) and after years of learning and experimenting I started this blog on WordPress. Although my personal choice will always remain WordPress but for blogging enthusiasts the options are many. You can play around with each and in time you will be sure what to use and what you should not.
I regularly update this post, and I have seen some new blogging platforms and even tried those, with all the services put together, I have made this list, so that you can save time in exploring different services.
I hope this article will make people interested in blogging, as well.
12 Best Blog Sites
1. Blogger – Blogger is a blog publishing service that allows private or multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. It was created by Pyra Labs, which was bought by Google in 2003. Generally, the blogs are hosted by Google at subdomains of blogspot.com. Blogger allows users to publish blogs on other hosts, via ftp. This is my first choice for best blog sites. Here are some of best blogger templates that we have showcased on our site.
2. WordPress – WordPress.com is a weblog hosting provider owned by Automattic which opened to beta testers on August 8, 2005 and opened to the public on November 21, 2005. It is powered by the open source WordPress software. It is financially supported via paid upgrades, “VIP” services and limited Google Adsense advertising. This is my second choice as the best blog sites.
3. Tumblr – Tumblr is a microblogging platform that allows users to post text, images, videos, links, quotes and audio to their tumblelog, a short-form blog. Users can follow other users, or choose to make their tumblelog private. The service emphasizes ease of use. And Tumblr have some really great designed free themes.
4. Medium – Medium Founded by Twitter startup guy Ev Williams & Biz Stone, this blogging platform has an extra feature to annotate work of other people, this makes this new blogging platform quite unique. Just log in from Twitter authentication system and you are ready to comment and blog. If you are new to blogging and looking out for readers, then you might want to try medium, as it has a large audience attached to it.
5. Livejournal – LiveJournal (LJ) is a virtual community where Internet users can keep a blog, journal or diary. LiveJournal is also the name of the free and open source server software that was designed to run the LiveJournal virtual community. LiveJournal’s blogging features include those found in similar blogging sites (multiple authors, commenting, calendars, and polls). However, LiveJournal differentiates itself from other blogging sites by its WELL-like features of a self-contained community and some social networking features similar to other social networking sites.
Best of the Rest Best Blog Sites
6. Quora – Quora is a question answer guide, where people like you and me ask question about any topic, and you will answered by the community. Its much like Yahoo and StackOverflow, but they have added blog functionality which is really great. The best blog sites for questions answer type community.
7. Weebly – Weebly started in 2006 has been providing very extensive well managed solutions for newbie’s. To create a blog website in Weebly you can simply log on with your FaceBook account as well. With 100’s of professional designed templates and superb website building experience, we have kept this great site in our list.
8. Edublogs – The World’s most popular education blogging service… Edublogs lets you easily create & manage student & teacher blogs, quickly customize designs and include videos, photos & podcasts – it’s safe, easy and secure, probably the best blog sites on educational information and students from all around the world.
9. Blog – Blog.com provides a fully-featured publishing platform for free. Blog by yourself or establish a writing community, all under an address that looks like: you.blog.com. It also offers free blog hosting with unlimited bandwidth for their free package, more benefits for paid members.
10. Ghost.org - 14th of October, 2013 – Ghost 0.3 Kerouac was released to the world. Its a new blogging community that is building up at a nice pace, it has its limitations and right now basic functionality is all what you get, there are few people coming from WordPress to ghost, but also some examples of moving back to WordPress. All in all it’s another addition to our list of best blog sites.
11. Wix – Wix has been doing great in the recent past, and another addition of this list was needed due to our site visitors, who pushed us in reviewing and adding Wix to this list. Recently Wix has integrated Etsy shop via Wix’s App Market, where people can add apps according to requirements. Wix has great looking templates and a many best blog sites have been created on it, that have made this platform another favorite.
12. HubPages – HubPages is bundle of blogging and social networking, it has all kind of content and started as an article network. It can be an advantage for newbie and first timers, as it has well maintained services which are mostly free, and you get to socialize with users that may also be looking for networking. With hubpages, our list of best blog sites has got another boost up for new blogging enthusiast.
Yahoo Pulse – now closed
Yahoo! 360° was a social networking and personal communication portal operated by Yahoo! made available in 2005. It enabled users to create personal web sites, share photos from Yahoo! Photos, maintain blogs and lists, create and share a public profile and see which friends are currently online. 360° also featured a ‘friends updates’ section, under which each friend’s latest update was summarized (e.g. blog posts, updated lists or newly shared photos). An age old best blog sites that existed on Yahoo Pulse are mostly converted to WordPress.
I am sure their are many more platforms which can be in his list but for now I have chosen these over some others. Let us know if you have a replacement or any new best blog sites that are creating blogs as a free service.
Ads by Google