Design, Technology, Software & Internet tips

7 Best Free Speech Recognition Software

Operating systems nowadays have inbuilt voice recognition software but only some of those work properly. To overcome this, their are many other software which come along with some big price tags.

But their are many free speech recognition software which can be very handy if you want to have some fun with them. Let’s see the best and the free list of free speech / voice recognition software which do the job exactly as expected. If you have used any of these in past, please share your experience and also let us know which one of these is better than others.

Cmusphinx : CMUSphinx toolkit is a leading speech recognition toolkit with various tools used to build speech applications. CMU Sphinx toolkit has a number of packages for different tasks and applications.

Emacspeak : Emacspeak is a speech interface that allows visually impaired users to interact independently and efficiently with the computer. Audio formatting –a technique pioneered by AsTeR– and full support for W3C’s Aural CSS (ACSS) allows Emacspeak to produce rich aural presentations of electronic information.

Festival Speech Synthesis System: Festival offers a general framework for building speech synthesis systems as well as including examples of various modules. As a whole it offers full text to speech through a number APIs: from shell level, though a Scheme command interpreter, as a C++ library, from Java, and an Emacs interface. Festival is multi-lingual (currently English (British and American), and Spanish) though English is the most advanced.

[ad]

Modular Audio Recognition Framework : MARF is an open-source research platform and a collection of voice/sound/speech/text and natural language processing (NLP) algorithms written in Java and arranged into a modular and extensible framework facilitating addition of new algorithms. MARF can run distributedly over the network and may act as a library in applications or be used as a source for learning and extension.

NonVisual Desktop Access : NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) is a free and open source screen reader for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Providing feedback via synthetic speech and Braille, it enables blind or vision impaired people to access computers running Windows for no more cost than a sighted person. Major features include support for over 20 languages and the ability to run entirely from a USB drive with no installation.

Ivona : IVONA TTS is a programme developed by IVO Software converting text to speech and used in many trades and market segments. Its technological potential, high speech quality comparable with human speech, variety of voices, codecs and licenses contribute to the fact that it is used by both large corporations and small enterprises.

eSpeak : is a compact open source software speech synthesizer for Linux, Windows, and other platforms. It uses a formant synthesis method, providing many languages in a small size.

[bb]

20 Responses to 7 Best Free Speech Recognition Software

1. Technology News says:

Nice list.. Ivona and Emacspeak are cool.. I use them!

2. Abhishek-seekersfind.com says:

Hi
    great tool to free speech recognition.I hope I will use them in future.

Thanks For Sharing
    Abhishek

3. Bittu says:

i Wanted to use this Dragon Naturally Speaking V10 and i didn’t make it till now and if you have some time, you can please review and write about this. So that i can use it.

4. Nice share, my brother used speech recognition a lots, I am going download one of the this software for him. It will be very useful.

5. Duo London Escorts says:

There is such a good list of best as well as free speech recognition softwares.From all of these speech recognition softwares I like Ivona very much as it is converting text to speech.I will surely get this software.

6. SATHYAM says:

good softwares

7. Dathan Nicholson says:

Ivona and eSpeak aren’t speech recognition, however, I’m glad you told me about Ivona, I’m excited to get the new Kendra voice, it’s the best one I’ve heard, better then the AT&T ones.

8. Cathy says:

Hi,

I just want to be able to speak and have my words entered into Word (2007) without typing. My last computer had Vista (hated it!) and so the speech recognition was built in. Not so with Word 2007. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good program for me?

thanks

• Lewis says:

Cathy Hi,
      did you get any response to your post back 4/11/2011 on ” just want to be able to speak and have my words entered into Word (2007) without typing. I have an XP machine. I know windwos 7 has it.

9. disney says:

I need a speech recognition software for my project. Let me briefly describe the project(game development) i am doing. So when someone pronounce the word, we will capture the voice and do comparison to make sure that they pronounce correctly. I chosen Cmusphinx which i feel that it fit my requirement the most as other software deal mainly like text-to-speech. Anyone have any suggestion of software i can use for the project. Thank you in advance

10. mypcmag29 says:

Nice article.It is very informative..

11. IGUAS says:

thanks but it is free?i want like the google transcriber speech recognition.Is there any software?

Thanks this good article.Blog Walking visit my blog

12. TB says:

@IGUAS

You might be interested in something like TalkTyper.com which is free and seems to be based on Google recognition. TalkTyper only works with Chrome, but it seems pretty good if your mic is okay.

13. Me says:

Check out Freesr Speech Recognition. Freesr.org. It does voice control on steroids. The first real alternative to Dragon Naturally Speaking.

14. Omo says:

Thanks a lot. Frm mos

15. Alex says:

Tanks for the article. Take a look on the new speech recognition and transribing site:
    speechpad.pw

16. Sean Piercy says:

These are not speach recognition programs, but tts (text-to-speach) programs. You probably want to change the title of your page.

17. Sean Piercy says: